My husband has recently brought to my attention Elsie's stark resemblance to a cat. Every time we talk about it, I envision two grown adults rolling around on the floor proclaiming "I'm a cat, I'm a kitty cat"! So, thank you Kelsey and Amber for exposing me to your shenanigans during Goosefest '08 and forever linking in my brain the word cat with that dumb saying! I'm guessing you are now wondering why it is that I find my daughter to be comparable to a cat. Read on friends.
When she was about 3 months old, we noticed her inherent need to touch everything. She would run her fingers along everything from our faces to the couch to her bottles. I predict that in her future she will be a tactile learner. In the last 2 months, she began not only touching things, but also scratching things. When I say things I mean everything she comes in contact with! When she sits on my lap after a bottle, she uses both hands to scratch at the couch. When she lays in bed before she falls asleep, she reaches both arms straight out and scratches her sheets. When she gets tired, she scratches her own face! You would think that we try to drown the child because in her bath tub there are scratch marks all along the sides. She lays in the middle of our bed with us in the mornings, stretches out both arms, places her hands directly in the middle of each of our faces and scratches around, often wandering her fingers into our noses and mouths. I would like to add that this makes it very hard to sleep.
I have thought considerably about buying her a cat scratching block so I don't have to fret continually about whether or not her nails are too sharp. I clip them 3 or 4 times a week. Yes, you read right, 3 or 4 times a week!
Her next cat-like quality is the way she loves to bask in the sunlight. As I mentioned in a previous post, she gets absolutely giddy when I open all of the curtains. Once the morning sunlight hits her body, it's like instant relaxation runs over her. In fact, she actually has been having some trouble with constipation these last couple of days and when Grandma was babysitting the other day she laid her in the sun and she was so relaxed that she pooped! This has absolutely nothing to do with resembling a cat, but it does help you get a mental picture of just how relaxed she becomes.
One of the funniest similarities to a cat is the way she forms her hand into a fist and licks it. The resemblance to a cat cleaning its paws is undeniable. Considering her current state of teething, I guess it really only seems normal to be inserting (or trying to insert) any available body part or limb into her mouth. She seems to be willing to try anything at least once.
Her last and newest cat-like quality is the way she loves to sit in the window and watch the cars go by. The other day she was very irritable and I just couldn't seem to find a way to soothe her. I decided to try setting her on the arm of the couch next to the window so she could breath in the fresh air and take in the scenery. She was in heaven. I could feel the anticipation in her body each time she heard a car approaching. When it finally came into her vision, she leaned into the window and followed it until she could no longer see it. This has now become a daily activity. She squeals with excitement when traffic picks up and there happens to be more than one car in her line of vision at a time. Since she lacks the proper decision making skills when it comes to deciding which car to follow, she almost gets overwhelmed. Just when I think she's going to shut down from excitement overload, she comes back in full force with a squeal and a giggle.
I'm sure there are people who are wondering if I'm at all concerned about the fact that my daughter seems to be half cat and half human. Well rest assured, I am not worried in the least bit. I am thoroughly enjoying the fact that I am able to spend my days with her, allowing me to pick up on these fun little traits and quirks that she seems to be developing.
Last but certainly not least, I will leave you with a picture of my cat-human daughter.
Don't worry, she's not growing spots! She's just sporting her cheetah print vest!
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Cutest post ever! Everything about your blog just makes me smile! She's such a cutie!! :)
ReplyDelete